Power napping? We say yes! Do you feel tired after lunchtime? Or do you often experience drowsiness in the afternoon about eight hours after waking up? You need a power nap! Our body seems to be designed for this, as we almost everyone feels a kind of tiredness in the afternoon.
What Power Nap is?
We are talking about a short 20 – minute’s afternoon nap, known as a “catnap”, that is intended to quickly revitalize our body and ends before deep sleep. Experts recommend that the ideal power nap is between 15 and 30 minutes in the middle of your day. So when you are starting to feel like you wanna go to bed, it is better to take a short break, find a cozy place like a couch – if you are not at home – and let your body recover, relieve stress and restore alertness. The whole philosophy around napping is to trigger ourselves with energy for the rest of the day. For the record, research has shown that 20 – 30 minutes of additional sleep in the afternoon is more beneficial than an extra 20 minutes more sleep in the morning.
Which are the health benefits of Power Nap?
- According to NASA and the National Space Biomedical Research Institute taking power naps regularly may give positive effects on memory, increasing your ability to remember things easily.
- It gives you the fresh, shiny and youngish look you insanely want, as sleep regenerates our face skin!
- You feel good! Napping increases your mood levels making you feel happier!
- Being like an escape from reality, a quick nap relaxes your body and mind and helps you reduce your daily stress.
- It makes you work at higher levels and thus be more productive in the tasks of your day.
- Have you ever noticed that when you are exhausted you usually choose to eat junk food and unhealthy snacks? It is because you are tired. Prefer to close your eyes rather than eating or drinking coffee. Plus, studies have shown that people who sleep tend to lose weight.
- If you are a nightbird, a power nap helps you supplement the deficient night sleep.
Tips for your next siesta:
- If you work from home, it is easy to go for a nap. Just choose your bed or a cozy couch. But if you are at work -like all of us – you need to plan it further: Just cross your hands on the desk and place your head on top for some minutes, or you can lean back to your office chair and wear your headphones to stop background noises. Hearing calm music really hepls!
- If you only have 5 minutes just close your eyes and relax for a little.
- Pay attention! If you fall asleep for hours in the mid-day, it is more difficult to fall asleep at night, especially when the previous night you got enough sleep.
- Keep in mind that experts suggest 7 – 9 hours of sleep per day.
- In case you are not used to napping during the day, you may try meditation and give your body and mind some rest. Meditation enables us to move from higher frequency brain waves to lower frequency and is similar to sleep.
- Set an alarm if you don’t want to sleep for a long time.
- You should know that if you want to wake up after your quick nap and be full of energy, you need to really sleep and not just to close your eyes.
Prefer power nap over coffee!
[Cover ©Vladislav Muslakov]